Shifting to a New Career after 50

Thinking about changing your career in mid-life? Many Baby Boomers are doing this, and have found greater joy and meaning in their lives after making the leap to try something different, yet still keep up with paying their bills. I just read an interesting article written by Kerry Hannon, author and regular contributor in She discusses her new book, Great Jobs for Everyone 50+: Finding Work That Keeps You Happy and Healthy … And Pays the Bills, a guide to finding financial security as well as personal and professional fulfillment.  She offers a financial checklist to consider before changing to an “Encore Career.”


This article is about Medicare Options in 2012, specifically for Montana, written by Duane “Pete” Pettersen. For anyone in the USA interested in learning more about options in your state, please refer to and to the CMS (Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services) publication, Medicare & You which is sent out to all people age 65 or older. For Medicare Supplement or Medigap policies, CMS puts out an excellent summary called 2012: Choosing a Medigap Policy: A Guide to Health Insurance for People with Medicare.

Original Medicare Only

Part A:  Hospitalization.

Paid for by payroll tax.  $1,156.00  deductible for 2012.

Movie Copyright Compliance in Senior Living Homes

This article is intended to educate and clarify for you what the law says about “Copyright Compliance” regarding Video, DVD, Computer Streaming, or Movie exhibitions in Senior Living Homes.

License Required!

Does your Senior Retirement/Assisted Living/Nursing Home Facility offer “Movie Night”, or closed circuit TV showings, or in-house TV channel movies? They may be required to have a license for public performance of these movies. This is to ensure compliance with the U.S. Copyright Act, Title 17. These licenses are issued by the MPLC, an independent copyright licensing agency.  The motion picture studios and producers have authorized the MPLC to grant these annual licenses to senior living communities. It is called the Umbrella License®, and as of 2012, costs about $12.00 for closed circuit use (for each connection) and $6.00 for common area use (for each independent living unit).